Friday, July 31, 2009

Mountain View Cemetery, Ashland, Oregon



















When driving to California last month, my friend Kat and I stopped off at a Wendy's to get her some food. We drove past this lovely cemetery and on the way back north a week later we decided to take a break from driving and walk through it. It's obviously a well loved place, filled with headstones of odd shapes and sizes with names that feel like they belong in 1920's silent films. The grounds were filled with trees, flowers and tidy mowed grass. We both felt really welcome there. There were a ton of flickers and crows in the trees, trilling and cackling above us. People were walking their dogs along the paths. I loved the fact the Madrona tree in center of the cemetery was commemorated with a plaque - it was Ashland's tree of the year in 2006. You've got to love a city that honors trees each year.

Many cemeteries have specific sections for infants and children, although I'm not convinced that the title "Babyland" is the best word to use for them. I'm not quite sure what feels wrong about it, but it's just a little creepy. The angel was remarkably untouched, wings intact and no other noticeable damage. Yet another sign that this cemetery is well cared for. I snapped quite a few pictures in this place, of the headstones and trees. One of the headstones was just a huge, rounded stone with the names carved into it. Another had some gorgeous stained glass. And another was absolutely astonishing- on the top was a brass whale tail sculpture and just beneath it was the phrase "Goin Deep." Written at the base was the following quote:

This stone is in tribute to all living creatures, that have suffered and endured Man in his quest to control. -John C. Westerfield

What a wonderful monument. I hope that if I choose to be buried that I can come up with something as lovely as this. I left an offering in respect for the sentiment and smiled the rest of the afternoon. The afternoon was drawing to a close when we finally headed north once more. I look forward to stopping there again on my next trip to California, to linger in the shade of the many trees and wonder about the lives of those who lived there.

No comments:

Post a Comment